All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Gulbrand/Gudbrand Tomasson, born July 27, 1865
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  16:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name of the farm he lived on in Vang in Valdres, Oppland, was Torstad. Gulbrand/Gudbrand had relatives that were much younger than him, and one of them was Marit (Mary) Andrisdaugher who born in 1909. She was educated as a nurse, and went to Chicao - I don't know when, and she married a guy cdalled Clyde E. Kimbel. Marit Anrisdaugher had a brother called Nils. He was born in 1907, and went to Minneapolis in 1924 when he was 17 years old. He married a Swedish girl called Astri Persson.

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  17:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at databases in familysearch didn't seem to find your Gulbrand as a Torstad /Thorstad. Here is a database of Ancestors of Nils Andersen Torstad that's fairly recent (2009) you may want to contact the poster to see if she has found any additional information (since she expresses the opinion that Gulbrand and Knut died young)

Also because the ancestral lines in it only go through Gulbrand's mother none of his father's connections are followed, perhaps Gulbrand came to US to connect to his father's unknown relatives who may have come here.

Another long shot is to track down any of Gulbrand's faddernes to see if they came to US & to whom he may have come to see if he appears in records there.

From the database I see his mother's death occurred in 1918 but checking for a dødsfallprotokol might find him listed if he still lives by then:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ntmitchell&id=I0008

Because I wasn't finding any Gulbrand / Gudbrand Tomassons in the usual online databases I check, that is why I looked at Gilbert Thompson an Anglicized name for Norwegians to represent any unusual to Yankee first name starting with G and last name starting with T. There were a handful of Gilbert Thompson and the one we followed first seemed the most likely because of the combination of birthdate and year of migration, most like Gulbrand's. But no exacting record was found that proved that that Gilbert was yours such as statement of exact birthdate and the like.

(Likewise we found no exact proof that Ingebret Gudmundson is that Gilbert Thompson either, but the circumstances of where the Gilbert Thompson family lived in 1895 weigh more heavily in Ingebret's favor than in Gulbrand's favor. And the name change from Ingebrigt to Gilbert is not one I've seen before but might seem logical to someone's mind and taste. But more information about Ingebret is truly needed to satisfy doubt but with the 12-14 children in the Gudmund Thompson family surely someone has developed some additional records along the way.)

George Thompson might be another name to search for your guy for the same reasons as above. Another possible search would be to contact the Valdres Lag in US and ask their genealogist for help.

Clyde E Kimbel turns up in a few of the records like this one:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJJC-78K5

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/12/2014 17:59:06
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  03:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some men with intials G. T. living in Wisconsin in 1900.

View Record Immigration 1882
Gilbert Thompson
Emma Milwaukee Ward 10, Milwaukee, Wisconsin Sep 1864 Norway Head
Married Emma Falch in 1997 in Chicago Illinois.

View Record Immigration 1869
Gunder Thompson
Christina Garfield, Jackson, Wisconsin May 1864 Norway Head

View Record Immigration 1890
Gilbert Thompson
Superior Ward 4, Douglas, Wisconsin May 1865 Norway Roomer

Gabrel Torgersen Immigration 1866
Elisa P Eagle, Richland, Wisconsin Aug 1863 Norway Head

View Record Immigration 1888
Gunder Toedt
Barron, Barron, Wisconsin Jul 1864 Norway Head

View Record Immigration 1882
Gilbert Trulson
Henrietta, Richland, Wisconsin May 1865 Norway Head

Edited by - AntonH on 09/12/2014 03:25:06
Go to Top of Page

Anne Brit Benum

Norway
260 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  10:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thank you very much for all the work you have done for me! I am so impressed.

Anne Brit Benuj
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article