All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Borghild Jonsdatter Kvamshaugen 1/17/1851-10/17/19
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2018 :  14:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! That explains Gunne Olsdatter born 1845. The rest of their children - five of them - were born after this census. They left for America 6/4/1882 - this information has helped me so much and I am trying to get it sorted out.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2018 :  16:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
yndal40 - the 1865 Bygland census is my family! BUT the father's date of birth is 1828 and should be 1833 - Is this an error on their part?

Perhaps an error but looked on more as a calculation of birth year based on what the surveyed said his age was or what the person doing the survey heard him say his age was or wrongly transcribed somewhere in the process. Lots of places for error to creep in. One of the reasons we depend so much on the original records.

Edited by - AntonH on 16/07/2018 16:06:19
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2018 :  16:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybellmn ,I wonder if you are aware of this Family Tree on Geni.com? It covers your family in great detail and when I looked at the data in the tree it matched well with the original records I have posted earlier in this topic. Further I am familiar with one of the managers of the Tree a Gunnar Torfinn Fiane who in my experience is a very good genealogist and who's work I would trust.

Geni.com Tree
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2018 :  23:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another cousin and I have been in contact with Gunnar. He is looking into a Ljot Grundyson - we are not sure if he is another brother. Here in America he was known as another Grundysen family and not of our Grundyson family. He married my grandfathers niece and there has been a lot of confusion over this. Gunnar seems to be very busy with his job and working on ancestry. All of the pictures he has used came from me (with my permission).
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  01:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons I started working on your post when you first mentioned Setesdal is that my Norwegian grandparents both come from the county of Aust-Agder. Tracing my ancestry in Norway has involved mostly Aust-Agder so I was interested in your family as I usually find a connection in some way to many families that come from Agder. And this is true in your case as well.

One of the reasons I connected my immediate ancestors into the Geni.com Tree is the ability of Geni to point out pathways between the profile a person can establish on Geni and other profiles on the site.

For example when I found the profile for Olav Grundesson Hegland (Austad), d.y born December 8, 1833, Geni informed me that: "Olav Grundesson Hegland, d.y. is your 10th cousin once removed". So if he is your great grandparent you are probably my 13th cousin.

Looking at the path that Geni provides shows a Tjøstolv Aslaksson Oland, d.e born between 1500 and 1505 Oland, Gjøvdal, Åmli, Aust Agder. He is my tenth great grandfather. I already knew of him and had him in my Family Tree. Much of my family heritage involves the two sub-parishes of Åmli so that family line is not out of the ordinary. I am a direct descendant of Nere one of the sons of Tjøstolv. However Tjøstolv also had a daughter Astrid Tjøstovsdtr Momrak (Oland. Your great grandfather is shown on Geni to be a direct descendant of her, thus making your great grandfather a direct cousin of mine.

Small world

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  01:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
He is looking into a Ljot Grundyson - we are not sure if he is another brother.

Here is the baptism record for a Ljot that would seem to be the person that your are referring to.

Liodt Grunde
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Liodt Grunde
Baptism Date: 17 mai 1840 (17 May 1840)
Baptism Place: Bygland,Aust-Agder,Norway
Father: Grunde Olsen
Mother: Gonnild Grundesdr
FHL Film Number: 123514

Here is the original baptism record. Click on number 19.

Based on the original record I would say that this Liodt has the same parents as Ole Grundesen born Dec 8, 1833 Bygland, Aust-Agder.

It is likely that this same man emigrated in 1877 from Kristiansand to Minnesota. Name is given as Ljot Grundesen.

Link

Another way to look at the passenger list. Ljot along with wife Ragnhild and daughters Gunnild and Ingeborg.

Link

This is likley the marriage of Ljot to Ragnild

Ljot Grundesen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Ljot Grundesen
Birth Date: 1837
Marriage Date: 26 des 1860 (26 Dec 1860)
Marriage Place: Sandnes, Aust-Agder, Norway
Spouse: Ragnil Tarkelsdr
FHL Film Number: 123513
Reference ID: 2:26DDNZS

Birth year is a little off? Also the original record was a little hard to find as it is under the sub-parish Sandnes in its own section.

However the original record does show that his father is Grunde Olsen Oustad and one of the witnesses is a Ole Grundesen Oustad, likely your great grandfather. See number 21 right hand page.

Here is Ljodt and wife Ragnild in the 1865 Census

And in the 1875 Census

Some caution is needed here as the number of men with a father named Grunde from Bygland Aust-Agder is large enough to make sorting it out a little confusing. And what name they used in Minnesota makes it a little harder yet.

Now this Ljot had a son born about 1883 in America who might be a better candidate for the husband of your grandfathers niece.

Edited by - AntonH on 20/07/2018 01:45:26
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  03:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect that the Ljot Grundeson who married Asbjør is the son of the Ljot Grundesen born 1840 in Norway and married to Ragnild. Here is the marriage record for the kids from the ELCA data base. Be flexible on the spelling of his first name.

Ljat Grundeson
in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1826-1969
Name: Ljat Grundeson
Record Type: Marriage
Birth Place: Grand Forks Co North Dakota, USA
Marriage Date: 20 Nov 1907
Marriage Place: Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
Father: Ljat Grundeson
Mother: Raguild Grundeson
Spouse: Asbjör Hegland
Church Name: Rosendal Lutheran
Church Location: Reynolds, North Dakota

He died in 1934

Ljot Grundeyson
Name: Ljot Grundeyson
Record Type: Burial
Death Date: 20 Jul 1934
Burial Date: 23 Jul 1934

Following the Geni.com tree gives this family tree

The wife is Asbjor Hegland b 1879 in North Dakota Her parents are

Knut Hegland and Signe Olavsdatter Austad Hegland b 1848

Signe Olavsdatter Austad is the daughter of

Olav Grundesson Austad, d.y. born 1819

You do have a very complex family.

Edited by - AntonH on 20/07/2018 02:09:16
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  03:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at the geni.com and they have done a great job! I didn't know that that site was like that. Lots of information to compare. Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  04:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read your post on being a 13th cousin! Well, hi cuz! It is a small world but very confusing in ancestry. At least I know that I can ask questions! Gunnar in Norway figured that we were about 10th - someone in his back ground had come to Oklee, MN and we have family there too. When I started ancestry I was all right until it came to my grandpa's dad's father and it stopped me cold. Then I found out the next name for him and have been wondering if I was right. The thought that I may get on the wrong ancestry doesn't sit to great with me. Just help me along the way. My grandmother Nellie Rystad Grundyson came from Setesdal Valle also. I have more information about that side from another cousin working on that side. So it was a little easier.
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  04:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try and give you the information about Ljot Grundysen as we have his mother and fathers names, family members and pictures on ancestry.com I will be gone most of the day.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2018 :  23:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of Sander Sandersen's descendants, Sander Thomassen Røo, mentioned as Sander Raaen, born on Røo Mai 14. 1816.
Farmer, Petty-officer, Cultural personality, Historian, Reader, Politican, Master fiddler, Strong-man, Song-writer, a local Leonardo Da Vincy.

He recieved a letter from Ivar Åsen where he thank Sander for the conversations the had.
Christiania Nov 13. 1877 Ivar Aasen

A drawing of Sander Røo in the Newspaper Verdens Gang 1885 link

Edited by - Kåarto on 18/07/2018 00:00:16
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2018 :  14:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kaarto for the information! I will start a New Topic with info on Ljot Grundeyson/Grundyson so I can keep the two ancestries separate. So much information.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2018 :  20:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome.
Eilif Gundersen " Å Um Eg Går Til Jento" If I go to the girl, song made by Sander Røo Link
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2018 :  17:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

I suspect that the Ljot Grundeson who married Asbjør is the son of the Ljot Grundesen born 1840 in Norway and married to Ragnild. Here is the marriage record for the kids from the ELCA data base. Be flexible on the spelling of his first name.

Ljat Grundeson
Name: Ljat Grundeson
Record Type: Marriage
Birth Place: Grand Forks Co North Dakota, USA
Marriage Date: 20 Nov 1907
Marriage Place: Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
Father: Ljat Grundeson
Mother: Raguild Grundeson
Spouse: Asbjör Hegland

He died in 1934

Ljot Grundeyson
Name: Ljot Grundeyson
Record Type: Burial
Death Date: 20 Jul 1934
Burial Date: 23 Jul 1934

Following the Geni.com tree gives this family tree

The wife is Asbjor Hegland b 1879 in North Dakota Her parents are

Knut Hegland and Signe Olavsdatter Austad Hegland b 1848

Signe Olavsdatter Austad is the daughter of

Olav Grundesson Austad, d.y. born 1819

You do have a very complex family.

The Ljot that died 7/20/1934 is the son of Ljot that was born in 1840 - and Grundy L. Grundeyson is a brother to Ljot that died 7/20/1934. Grundy L. Grundeyson was the one married to Tone Skore and lived in Sletten Township, Polk Co., MN
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2018 :  18:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

quote:
He is looking into a Ljot Grundyson - we are not sure if he is another brother.

Here is the baptism record for a Ljot that would seem to be the person that your are referring to.

Liodt Grunde
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Liodt Grunde
Baptism Date: 17 mai 1840 (17 May 1840)
Baptism Place: Bygland,Aust-Agder,Norway
Mother: Gonnild Grundesdr
FHL Film Number: 123514

Here is the original baptism record. Click on number 19.

Based on the original record I would say that this Liodt has the same parents as Ole Grundesen born Dec 8, 1833 Bygland, Aust-Agder.

It is likely that this same man emigrated in 1877 from Kristiansand to Minnesota. Name is given as Ljot Grundesen.

Link

Another way to look at the passenger list. Ljot along with wife Ragnhild and daughters Gunnild and Ingeborg.

Link

This is likley the marriage of Ljot to Ragnild

Ljot Grundesen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Ljot Grundesen
Birth Date: 1837
Marriage Date: 26 des 1860 (26 Dec 1860)
Marriage Place: Sandnes, Aust-Agder, Norway
Spouse: Ragnil Tarkelsdr
FHL Film Number: 123513
Reference ID: 2:26DDNZS

Birth year is a little off? Also the original record was a little hard to find as it is under the sub-parish Sandnes in its own section.

However the original record does show that his father is Grunde Olsen Oustad and one of the witnesses is a Ole Grundesen Oustad, likely your great grandfather. See number 21 right hand page.

Here is Ljodt and wife Ragnild in the 1865 Census

And in the 1875 Census

Some caution is needed here as the number of men with a father named Grunde from Bygland Aust-Agder is large enough to make sorting it out a little confusing. And what name they used in Minnesota makes it a little harder yet.

Now this Ljot had a son born about 1883 in America who might be a better candidate for the husband of your grandfathers niece.

Ljot's (1840) son born 1883 and died 7/20/1934 would be the younger brother to Grundy L. Grundeyson (husband to Tone Skore). We have a picture of the 4 children Torkel, Gunhild, Grundy and Ljot.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article