All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Voyages to London, England
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2019 :  12:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I look closely, am I right is seeing the possible departure date could be May 1848 ?

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2019 :  12:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhilMyhre

I guess they could have left from Oslo and /or Kristiansand?

Certainly but also this from my post above:
"Norway Heritage passage page gives another ship from Stavanger in 1850 for which there is no posted list: the schooner Rogaland that left Stavanger on 16 May and arrived at New York on the 29 June.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_year.asp?ye=1850"
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2019 :  12:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I look closely, am I right is seeing the possible departure date could be May 1848 ?

The date at the top of the column is 1850. The number 1 entry is 1850. The dates with other years appended to them might be that the people did not get their papers when they left originally but requested them later when they had some reason to need them. But generally any of the dates without a year (just a month and a day) are assumed to the be the year in the heading. The family's departure date is written European style.

Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2019 :  13:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see. I guess it is reasonable that they simply could be on one of the many vessels shown where no passenger list is available.

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2019 :  17:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rogaland's arrival is reported in the New York newspaper Shipping and Commercial List and New-York Price Current available through GenealogyBank.com on 6 July 1850 and again on 10 July and 17 July. Passage near other ports of call or landings in other places in US before 6 July 1850, not found. So it might be possible to search for and maybe find a passenger list for the ship if it lands first in New York.

If it landed first elsewhere then the passenger list would be filed in that port even if the people didn't get off until they arrived elsewhere.

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/05/2019 19:23:42
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2019 :  17:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The data base at Ancestry.com does not start to pick up the Rogaland landing in New York until June 10, 1852. Here is one example from the passenger list

Name: Ole Johan Ouested
Arrival Date: 10 Jun 1852
Birth Date: abt 1848
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Norwegian
Place of Origin: Norway
Port of Departure: Stavanger, Norway
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Rogaland

About 98 passengers

Edited by - AntonH on 27/05/2019 17:52:48
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2019 :  19:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

The data base at Ancestry.com does not start to pick up the Rogaland landing in New York until June 10, 1852. Here is one example from the passenger list

Name: Ole Johan Ouested
Arrival Date: 10 Jun 1852
Birth Date: abt 1848
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Norwegian
Place of Origin: Norway
Port of Departure: Stavanger, Norway
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Rogaland

About 98 passengers

The newspaper reports the Rogaland on 12 June 1852 in "Foreign Importations" column. No description of what was carried other than "Ballast" which is the as the same report in 1850.

In the 1801 census there are farms named Ouestad in Borre, Gjerpen, Eidanger, Drangedal, Lund, Strandebam, and Etne.

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/05/2019 19:27:30
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2019 :  19:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The son Severin's birth / baptism # 29:
SAST, Domkirken sokneprestkontor, 30/30BA/L0016: Ministerialbok nr. A 15, 1844-1854, s. 170
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051214031091

Not sure what the father's occupation is ____ mager , Skomager? shoemaker.... Looks like a lot of Myhres in the faddernes:
Hans Myhre, E Myhre, Christian Myhre, ____H Myhre, ____E Myhre and jomfru Berthe Myhre

Jørgine Otilie # 186:
SAST, Domkirken sokneprestkontor, 30/30BA/L0016: Ministerialbok nr. A 15, 1844-1854, s. 68
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051214030969

Sara Marie Myhre is among her faddernes. And she was also baptized at home on 2 May, sometimes an indicator of not great longevity.

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/05/2019 19:57:48
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  00:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

Name Mathilde Kiddelsdatter
Gender Female
Birth Date 28 Nov 1846
Christening Date 18 Dec 1846
Christening Place Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway
Father's Name Kiddel Jorgensen Rude
Mother's Name Marie Birkreim
Citing this Record

"Norway Baptisms, 1634-1927," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N7RG-ZFM : 10 February 2018), Kiddel Jorgensen Rude in entry for Mathilde Kiddelsdatter, 28 Nov 1846; citing ; FHL microfilm 307,144.

#426 father identified as married man shoemaker Kiddel Jørgensen Rude:
SAST, Domkirken sokneprestkontor, 30/30BA/L0016: Ministerialbok nr. A 15, 1844-1854, s. 86
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051214030987

Likely conceived before his marriage to Olava.

Edited by - jkmarler on 29/05/2019 00:15:44
Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  12:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh how on earth do you find that !! Very interesting - certainly looks like 'our' Kittil.

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  12:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see in Lyndals post the witnesses at Severin's birth. A Hans and Berthe could be Olava's grandparents Hans Christensen Myra and Berthe his wife. Some of the others appear to be Olava's brothers.

To Jackie, I have tried to look on the New York paper Shipping and Commercial list but nothing so far - is there any other source I could look at for ship's passenger lists?

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  18:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old Fulton History site has the most New York newspapers possibly it gets mentioned in at that site.

I was looking for information about Kittil himself thinking that maybe there would be information on him coming from his family side instead of us on the Myhre side.

But I've searched the confirmation records in Stavanger Frue and Domkirken but not found him (did find Govert Eriksen, however).

I've also looked at the inflyttedes of Stavanger 1835-1846 to see if he came in from someplace else.

There is only one Jørgen Halvorson found in the 1801 census in Rogaland. He was residing in Suldal and I looked at baptisms in Suldal for Kittil but didn't find there.

I've looked quite thoroughly for him / them in US records but cannot say that I've found them at all.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2019 :  18:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see in Lyndals post the witnesses at Severin's birth. A Hans and Berthe could be Olava's grandparents Hans Christensen Myra and Berthe his wife. Some of the others appear to be Olava's brothers.

To Jackie, I have tried to look on the New York paper Shipping and Commercial list but nothing so far - is there any other source I could look at for ship's passenger lists?

The passenger lists are filed at the first port of entry which could be any port in US regardless the ultimate destination. The actual holder of the record is the US Federal government. Very, very occasionally individual passengers are listed in the newspaper if there is some advertising reason for it.
Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  13:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....... ' us on the Myhre side'.....??

Can you explain ? Intrigued!

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  21:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What has been animating the search is your interest in the Myhre side of the equation. But maybe there is something or someone on Kittil's side who is working the field or has information on the family. Generally, if there is anything nasty to know, ask the in-laws... But so far I have not and probably a few others here haven't found the family in US at all. Maybe they didn't actually go after all?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article