All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Elias Olsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  04:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iif elias ,mother was mallene we have found no elias with a sister malllene or madeline audrin mention that elias hada lsister madeline so apparently she must have been living when elias got married
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  15:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elias Olsen from Skjoldheim had a younger sister named Oline Mathilde. I have today been in contact with a granddaughter of her. She could tell that Elias traveled very early to America, and that the family never heard anything from him after that.

If this Elias is the one we are searching, this granddaughter would be a first cousin once removed to Audrey.
I'm thinking DNA test...?

What could a DNA test do in this scenario?

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/09/2018 21:20:34
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  17:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and what year was this woman born who is suppose to be elias olsen sister
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  17:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynn a small effort on your part to look at the Census that was posted on page one would give you the answer.

003 Oline Mathilde Olsdatter

H.nr: 01
Alder/født: 1899-01-17
Fødested: Fane
Bostatus: b
Familiestilling: d
Sivilstand: ug
Yrke: datter

The original record

The original record gives a birth date for Elias as May 16, not the May 28 that is listed in the Census.

Edited by - AntonH on 12/09/2018 18:04:01
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  21:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lynn peterson432

quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Lynn a small effort on your part to look at the Census that was posted on page one would give you the answer.

003 Oline Mathilde Olsdatter

H.nr: 01
Alder/født: 1899-01-17
Fødested: Fane
Bostatus: b
Familiestilling: d
Sivilstand: ug
Yrke: datter

The original record
and where is this woman on the 1910 census of fana

The original record gives a birth date for Elias as May 16, not the May 28 that is listed in the Census.

found her on the 1910 census of fana had go to ole eriksen may 16 1895 and may 28 1895 neither day falls on sunday

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  21:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
found her on the 1910 census of fana had go to ole eriksen may 16 1895 and may 28 1895 neither day falls on sunday

You are looking at the date of birth and not the baptism date. However he was baptized at home on June 9 and in the church on August 11. Both of those days are a Sunday.

Edited by - AntonH on 13/09/2018 17:33:15
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  21:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What could a DNA test do in this scenario?

The test that FTDNA uses is called Family Finder. It is an Autosomal DNA test, meaning it tests all of a persons DNA and not just Y the male DNA or mtDNA the female DNA. In order for it to be useful it is best if there is as large as possible group of suspected relatives tested. That is Audrey should have a test done and she should also have any other descendant of Elias still living tested. It would also be useful if the Norwegian granddaughter can have as many of the descendants of Oline Mathilda still alive tested.

Here is a blurb from FTDAN on its test. The other companies in the field such as 23 and Me also do this type of testing.

How does the Family Finder test work?

The Family Finder test works by comparing your autosomal DNA to that of other people in our database who have taken the test. The program calculates your relationship with a match based on sharing linked segments of DNA. Any two people from the same population may share some DNA. However, as matching segments of DNA become longer and as you share more segments, it is unlikely to be a chance match. The sharing is due to a recent common ancestor.

Link

And this also from FTDNA

Autosomal Tests (Family Finder)

Our autosomal test is known as Family Finder. This test is designed to find relatives on any of your ancestral lines within the last five generations. Family Finder uses autosomal DNA, which is the mixture of DNA you received from both parents (about 50% from your mother and about 50% from your father). Because autosomal DNA is a mixture of your mother’s and father’s DNA, it is unique to each person. Both men and women can complete this test.

Please note that this test cannot distinguish between matches from your mother’s side versus your father’s side.

If you are trying to confirm a relationship with someone else who is a third cousin or closer, the Family Finder test is recommended. We will provide you with the name, email address, and genealogical information your matches have shared. You will be able to communicate with them freely to find your common ancestors.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 12/09/2018 22:10:00
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
819 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  22:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we has taken this as far now as is reasonable to do on a public duscussion site, and let Audrey and her potential relatives sort this out in private. (Independently of jwiborg, I also tipped a Norwegian family member about this thread.) If the results should turn out to be negative, we can start this up again.

But yes, a little general info on DNA testing is good, and FTDNA is a good choice, since it is the most commonly used company by Norwegians. No need to coordinate anything (other than choosing the same company) — both parties just take the test, and will get a list of their matches. First to second cousins usually get strong matches, but it is always a good idea to test the living family members highest up in the tree.

Edited by - ToreL on 12/09/2018 22:43:07
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  22:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not so fast. I would like the family to come back for more records on the man in Canada. We know very little about thim. Once they have gotten those things, then we can more reasonably ask them to try other steps. The problem we have here is that we are able to generate enough Elias candidates from Norway but we don't have enough stuff about Elias in Canada to make a reasonable judgment.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  23:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the FTDNA explanation, Anton.
It's up to Audrey to decide if she want to pursue this trace. This track is something that can be followed simultaneously as the family are trying to locate more Canadian records for Elias. The granddaughter is not dismissive to a DNA test, but I think it must be coordinated and paid by the initiator.
It's important to choose the right test, to get a conclusive result. What level of test is needed to get a conclusive result in this scenario, and what's the cost per person?

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/09/2018 23:11:44
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2018 :  16:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still curious about the nickname "Bill," mentioned on a note accompanying Elias's tombstone record. Audlin, can you shed light on that?

Edited by - JaneC on 13/09/2018 18:46:13
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2018 :  01:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Audrin you can post scan things to your face book page which is a lot easier then trying to post or scan to norway- heritage and it would be easier to contact your sister and daughter in law on elias olsen your father
Go to Top of Page

Audlin
Starting member

Australia
19 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2018 :  02:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will scan the documents we have on Elias Olsen to my facebook page (Audrey Lindsay Sydney Australia). As to why the name Bill came into existence I have no idea. I have contacted the Archive Section of Saguenay Shipping because My sister says she remembers mother talking about Elias being on these ships in the Carribean and how hot it was. Then when Elias was working at Arvida Hotel/Inn this also is a property owned by Saguenay Shipping. Perhaps in those days, Bill was more conforming rather than Elias. However, all of this is supposition.

Audrey Lindsay
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2018 :  04:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Audlin, I suggest you don't post to Facebook. No one here can see your Facebook posts. You can send the scans to a forum contributor, using this forum's email system. Click on a user name (the online name at left of each messsage) to find the email option. Write a hello note (for example, to jwiborg or lyndal40, who are better at this than I am). When the contributor writes back, you can then attach your scans to an email.

As another option, here are the instructions for posting an image directly to Norway Heritage: link

Good luck!

Edited by - JaneC on 16/09/2018 02:48:20
Go to Top of Page

Audlin
Starting member

Australia
19 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2018 :  05:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted them - sorry.

Audrey Lindsay
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article