All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Peterson/Palmstrom Family Tree Help Needed Please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  23:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that could be the case.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  00:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another example of that. Here is a record from 1866 of Lorentz Palmstrøm and family moving in to Arendal. However on the left side is the date what appears to be 18/7 1864. That date fits better since we know Lorentz is shown in the 1865 Census in Arendal.

#34-37
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  05:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can’t find a Johan Carl Palmstrom/Pedersen/Peterson/Petterson, etc on any 1847-1855 Norway to USA passengers shipping list. Have been thru all that have passengers lists. How can I find the passenger lists that aren’t showing up on this site? Thx
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  06:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think my Johan Carl Palmstrom ( who came to Australia via USA in 1855/1856 ) be either the UNKNOWN #1402 or be a son of the UNKNOWN #255 on the Palmstrom family tree graph at palmstrom.net. Thx Mark
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  13:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think my Johan Carl Palmstrom ( who came to Australia via USA in 1855/1856 ) be either the UNKNOWN #1402 or be a son of the UNKNOWN #255 on the Palmstrom family tree graph at palmstrom.net. Thx Mark
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  17:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Especially this early there are lots of cases where emigrants don't show up on passenger lists, and Johan Carl in particular may not have left with a passenger ship at all. I have noticed that his two younger brothers Georg Nicolai and Peter Martin both come up as first mates on several occasions, and it appears that Peter in fact owned his own ship for a period. This would be later than the time of Johan Carl's departure, but it still shows that the family were close to the shipping community and may have found other ways to travel than to buy a ticked with passenger ship.

Here is a link to a sailing ship register published by Aust-Agder Museum:

http://skuteregisteret.no/site_search?query%3Austring%3Autf8=Palmstr%C3%B8m
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  17:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also search using the tab at the top of this page, "Emigrants 1825-1875". I have done that without much luck. Only one candidate turned up a Johannes Pedersen age 20, leaving in 1850 from Christiania.

Looking for arrivals of Johan Peters* in 1850 plus/minus 10 yrs, gives a few arriving in New York on Ancestry but there is so little information that it is not possible to get much from the arrival document. Nothing useful using Pedersen*

And this one under Palmstrom

Name: P T Palmstrom
Arrival Date: 20 Aug 1851
Birth Date: abt 1817
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Swedish
Place of Origin: Sweden
Port of Departure: Hamburg, Germany
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Franklin

Edited by - AntonH on 09/02/2019 18:04:48
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  18:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well perhaps a "none of the above" would be a reasonable answer. You really do not have enough information to make a judgement.

You are still missing some key information.

Do you have a connection between Charles Peterson who married Ellen Cavanagh in New York in 1855, and Johan Carl Palmstrøm born 1829 in Arendal Norway?

Also, I do not think we have established a connection between the family Johan Carl Palmstrøm born in 1829, his father Peder Andreas Palmstrøm born 1803 in Kristiansand, his father Johan Peter Palmstrøm born about 1763 in Sweden and the Palmstrøm family descendant from Johan Mattson Lange of the Palmstrøm.net site.

I have seen some circumstantial evidence that the families might be related in some way. The name Palmstrøm, the occupation of carpenter and seeming to have lived in the same location in Norway, Arendal and Kragerø Telemark. But I have not seen any records establishing a family connection.

I think that your best bet is to find someone at Palmstrøm.net who can tell you what evidence they have for putting Johan Carl Palmstrøm in the list of descendants who left Norway and went to Australia.

Another approach would be establish a DNA connection between yourself and someone descendant for Johan Mattson Lange. I am assuming you are a direct male line form Charles Peterson who lived in Australia. If so then if you find a direct male descendant of Johan Mattson Lange who has had a Y DNA test done (preferably Y-67 or larger), then you should be able to establish a connection or not.

Edited by - AntonH on 09/02/2019 18:39:29
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  03:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s funny that a T. Thommesen and Son was a shipping company, because Johan Carl Palmstrøm’s uncle was a Thomas Thomessen. Thomas was Elise Marie Larsdatter’s brother.
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  04:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I am a direct male lineage from Charles Peterson from New York, USA and then ( maybe Johan Carl Palmstrom from Arendal, Norway who was born in 1829. I will save some extra money up and do the Y67 or larger Y DNA test soon. Thx everyone for your help so far.
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  06:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So are all of Johans siblings surname Palmstrøm?

Johan Carl Palmstrøm 1829 -1895

Parents:
Peter Andreas 1803-1850
Elisabeth Marie Larsdatter 1808 - 1901

Siblings:
Peter Martin 1833 - 1870
Gurine Laurethe 1831 - 1838
Marie Cathrine 1836 -
Gurine Lsurette 1839 -
Georg Nicolai Peter 1841 -
Elise Mathilde 1844 -
Georgine Nicoline 1847 -
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  07:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or are some Pedersen for some reason? Thx
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  11:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both brothers used Palmstrøm at the 1865 census. The sisters wouldn't be Pedersen but rather Pedersdatter, but at least some of them were Palmstrøm at the 1865 census.

But I have a question for you, Mark: I just noticed you have a tree at Ancestry, were you have listed 1850 as the year of death for Johan Carl's father. Where did you find that? If we can determine the date of death, there might be a chance finding probate records after him.
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  12:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I try and see where I saw that
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  13:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone had 1875 (72) for Peter Andres Palmstroms death. I have sent message to them for clarification, etc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article