All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 July 28 2020 in Oslo Finding Albertina Amundsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  15:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the links on Even Sæther are on page 4 of this topic.
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  15:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I understand now. Occupation/position = Top Hunter of the 4th Comp. Do you have all access to any military records or Akershus Castle employees? This is really a neat find for me.

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  16:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, is this group members of the Slekt Og Data? The site looks good, but seems expensive. Do you research the same databases?

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  17:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what you mean, but certainly some individual bullpen members of Norway Heritage also belong to it even though I don't personally.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  17:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Good Morning Anton, I joined and uploaded my Ancestry DNA into the Norway DNA project you mentioned. I am waiting for their assistance. Mr. David Howden is one of their administrators and emailing. I mentioned Albertine Amundsen and Christian Danielsen as my Great-Grandmother. Are you a member? https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/norway/activity-feed
Any other ideas to research ANY connect to explorer Roald Amundsen???? Even with my DNA.

Yes I am a member of Norway Project.

N152778 is the number of my DNA profile and it can be found under Y67 group on the Y color chart for profiles. My oldest know fathers line ancestor is
Syvert Torjussen Herefoss, b. 1590, A-AGD

Here are two newspaper articles on Roald Amundsen and the DNA analysis done on a descendant of his brother for a question as to if had fathered an Intuit child. His DNA Y haplogroup is known but not published.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/01/30/norwegian_explorer_roald_amundsen_didnt_father_son_in_nunavut_tests_reveal.html

https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/article/65674dna_results_puts_end_to_long-held_arctic_tale/

My information and the links come from an e-mail from David Wittenberg Howden. Sounds like you are already in contact with him. He is a very knowledgeable person in the DNA field and can be a big help to you.

Now based on the information you have provided I would not think that you are a direct male descendant of Roald Amundsen since I am assuming that you think that if Road Amundsen is a ancestor that it is through Albertine thus not a male ancestor. ie not a Y-DNA ancestor.

Edited by - AntonH on 31/01/2020 17:38:59
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  17:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anton, thank you for this information concerning Roald Amundsen. I remember reading the articles when they first where published. So, within the Norway Project, if a member is DNA linked to Roald Amundsen (or his father and siblings) how will we know? If his DNA is no published???

I am waiting for my "kit" to be accepted/published in the Norway Project. I checked the "Norway Project - DNA Results" and look under Classic Chart or mtDNA and I do not see myself, yet. However, my results are visible in the FamilyTreeDNA. I wrote David Howden and asked how long the transfer will take. I appreciate your reply. If you look at the Norway Project posts, I added two research questions today. :)

I am really excited to learn about my Norwegian heritage. THANK YOU, and others, for helping me. Best, Randy

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  17:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the email sent to me by David Wittenberg Howden.

"A Y-DNA test has been analyzed of Roald Amundsens relatives (paternal descendant of his brother etc.)
and claimed inuit descendants. The test was done at "Folkehelseinstituttet" (Norwegian institute of public health)
on behalf of the Fram-museum (I have not seen his Y-DNA published anywhere, but the museum should know..)"

So right now I guess only the Museum knows the Y-DNA. Is there mtDNA data on the Amundsen family. I do not know the answer to that. David may know.
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  17:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anton, my kit number is B608638. If you happen to see it in the Norway Project, will you please alert me.

I noticed under Alberine AND her husband Christian Dainelsen that "Amundsen" is listed in both. If it is better to upload my mother's Ancestry DNA into the Norway Project - I have access and I have permission. Is the female DNA better?

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  17:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I noticed under Alberine AND her husband Christian Dainelsen that "Amundsen" is listed in both. If it is better to upload my mother's Ancestry DNA into the Norway Project - I have access and I have permission. Is the female DNA better

Questions like the ones above are far better answered by an expert like the folks at Norway Project.

Edited by - AntonH on 31/01/2020 18:04:53
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  18:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. I will be patient and wait for a response from admin staff. I found your number in the Y67, but I am new at understanding the DNA structure, so I do not know that the various categories mean. I have heard in the past that the female DNA is stronger than the male. Nevertheless, back to the castle and researching if my ancestor was a prison guard or military? :)

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  18:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to dig around on your own here is a link to the Geni.com profile for Roald Amundsen.

https://www.geni.com/people/Roald-Amundsen/6000000009844525585

Go further back to one of his ancestors such as Amund Olsen Utgaard HERNES and then click on the box labelled Actions in the far right hand corner. Then click on Descendant Report and you will see the people in his tree who would be related to Roald. You can peruse the list and get an idea how many there are and where they lived and probably live now.

https://www.geni.com/people/Amund-Olsen-Utgaard-HERNES/6000000036167033069?through=4915864641330086010

Edited by - AntonH on 31/01/2020 18:05:53
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  18:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anton, so we know Amund Olsen Utgaard HERNES is a descendant of Roald? I thought the Norwegian institute of public health did not release the information.

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  21:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amund Olsen Utgaard Hernes is actually the great grandfather of Roald. Goes Roald to father Jens to grand father Ole to great grandfather Amund. The tree descending from Amund is likely built from parish records or least some of it. Some can be built from peoples hopes and wishes. I doubt if much if any of the Tree contains any DNA data. Geni and all web trees for that matter can be a bit short of historical records.

The fun thing about Geni.com is if you have put your family and your ancestors into the big tree, the Relationship Calculator will give you the relationship between yourself and the person you have clicked on. Geni then shows you the path it took from you to the Profiled person.

For me Geni says that

Roald Amundsen is your second cousin twice removed's husband's first cousin once removed's wife's second cousin.

That is through 16 people and it also says

Roald Amundsen is your 16th cousin once removed.

That is through 31 peopole and looking at the path it does go though some people that are historically dubious.

It does illustrate that in a small country like Noway, if you go far enough back you can usually find some path from you to the historical figure. For what that is worth.

Edited by - AntonH on 31/01/2020 21:50:39
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2020 :  22:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting! I started a Geni account today, transferred my tree and already transferred my DNA. So if I type Roald’s name, somewhere it might say he’s a relative?

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2020 :  15:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Anton, I am seeking your help. I have uploaded my DNA into the Norway DNA project. My kit # is B608638. I do not understand how to review the "DNA Results." I see the "Y-DNA" and "mtDNA" and when I enter I see a lot of data. But am I supposed to see my kit #? I run a search for my number and I do not see it. Can you please search for my number and let me know if you find it? I have emailed David W a few times with no response. Since you are already familiar with this project, I was hoping you can assist. Very Respectfully, Dr. Fisher

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article