All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Relatives of John Johnson, Two Creeks, WI
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  17:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name Gussy helps. I found a census record several days ago, but didn't see the connection until now.

1900 United States Federal Census 1900 United States Federal Census
Name: John Johnson
Home in 1900: Port Angeles, Clallam, Washington
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1828
Birthplace: Norway
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Gusty M
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1850

Household Members: Name Age
John Johnson 72
Gusty M Johnson 66
Ella V Johnson 21

South Dakota Birth records have:
Elevine Dakotine Johnson born 8 Oct. 1878.
Father: John Johnson
Mother: Gundvar Augusta Ulson
County: Turner

Les

Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  18:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les,

You sure nailed that, thank you. It does put into question some of my information. I thought John Johnson had died around 1897, but according to your data he was still alive in 1900. Originally, I had thought he lived longer because I have a picture of a boat he supposedly built when he was 76. I'll have to check on the info on his death again. (I have a picture of four of his sons that was taken at his funeral and the writing on the back indicates 1897, evidently the person who wrote on the back was guessing and guessed wrong). I think I might have found a tombstone, that possibly was his (John Johnson's). Either that or the tombstone was for his son Albert who also lived in Washington and built boats. I'm getting so much information I have a hard time keeping things straight. I need to organize my information better so I can refer to it.

The "Ulson" must be a mistake, I'm sure it should be Olson. And I was sure surprised when an Elevine Johnson popped up. I had never heard of Elevine. I have heard of Ella. Evidently some one took Elevine and turned it into Ella V. Gusty must have had Ella when she was 45. I always wondered why I had pictures of my Grandfather Ira with his great Aunt Ella when they were both old. Now I know. I just ran across a picture of Ella on Saturday while I was looking for some photos to make copies of. My brother is an amateur photographer and he had agreed to make copies of some old photos. Ella's photo wasn't one that I picked.

Now I also now a possible explanation for who Aunt Gussy was. Some of my older relatives use to talk about Aunt Gussy but I didn't know who it was. It might have been this Augusta Olson.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  19:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just in case you don't have access to the census records, here is info from the 1930 Census, for Wisconsin.

1930 United States Federal Census 1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Grace L Johnson
Home in 1930: Carlton, Kewaunee, Wisconsin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1927
Relation to Head of House: Daughter-in-law

John Y Mueller 64
Anna C Mueller 60
Ira A Johnson 39
Hilda R Johnson 37
Grace L Johnson 2 8/12
Laverne V Johnson 1 3/12

Grace is listed as a daughter-in-law, which is a mistake. She and Laverne are daughters of Ira and Hilda. Hilda is a daughter to John and Anna.
Ira is listed as a son-in-law.

Ira and Hilda were married 1925.
Grace was born in Canada, and Laverne was born in Wisconsin.

Hilda R was born in Wisconsin.

John and Anna were both born in Wisconsin, and both of their parents were born in Germany.

Les

Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  20:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Les. I do not have access to the Census records. I had a trial period on one of the genealogy websites when I did look at some census records, but I never got around to looking up my mother and grandparents. When I first started looking at Census records, at the National Archives here in Washington, we were only allowed to look at census records that were at least 100 years old. It is interesting to know that for the 1930 census my mother's family was still living with the Muellers. They moved shortly after this because my uncle, Darryl, who I believe was born in 1932 was born in Two Rivers and not on the "farm" in Tisch Mills (Kewaunee).

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  19:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some South Dakota Birth records. These are available on line, free. You can order copies for a fee.

http://apps.sd.gov/applications/PH14Over100BirthRec/index.asp

Birth Information for GERELDA JOHNSON
(State File Number: 652951)
File Date: 02/14/1944
Sex: Female
Birth Date: 02/08/1882
City/County: TURNER
Mother's Name: ANNA PESTIEN
Father's Name: HELMICK JOHNSON

Birth Information for CARRIE JOHNSON
(State File Number: 659473)
File Date: 06/28/1944
Sex: Female
Birth Date: 09/02/1879
City/County: TURNER
Mother's Name: ANNA PESTIEN
Father's Name: HELMICK JOHNSON

John and Ira's birth records for SD are not here. Are you sure they were born in SD?

Les

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 01/01/2008 20:29:15
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  04:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Helmick was still in SD for the 1900 census. His name is very badly misspelled, and his age is way off. They have recorded his wife's name as Sopha.

1900 United States Federal Census 1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Helicka Johnson
Home in 1900: Norway, Turner, South Dakota
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1830
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Sopha
Helicka Johnson 70
Sopha Johnson 43
Carrie Johnson 20
Gereldia Johnson 18
John J Johnson 16
Ira Johnson 9
Mable Johnson 5

Additonal information from the census.
Helmick born July 1853(my date) WI.
Sopha born May 1857 WI
Carrie born Sept. 1879 SD
Gereldia born Feb(obviously wrong) 1882 SD
John J born Jan 1884 ND (Note North Dakota)
Ira born March 1891 SD
Mabel born Sept 1894

Helmick and Sopha have been married 22 years. Sopha has had 7 children, and 5 are still living.

Sopha's Father was from Germany, and her Mother was from Denmark.

Les

Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  05:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These should help. From the 1880 Census for Dakota Territory.

1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Helmik Johnson
Home in 1880: Turner, Dakota Territory
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's Name: Sophia
Father's birthplace: Nor
Mother's birthplace: Nor
Neighbors: View others on page Hit the Jackpot!!

Marital Status: Married
Helmik Johnson 25
Sophia Johnson 23
Corsie Johnson 8M

Here is the Jackpot:

1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census
Name: John Johnson
Home in 1880: Turner, Dakota Territory
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1828
Birthplace: Nor
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's Name: Gonvor
Father's birthplace: Nor
Mother's Name: Engibor
Mother's birthplace: Nor
Marital Status: Married
John Johnson 52
Gonvor Johnson 47
George Johnson 19
Julius Johnson 17
Amelia Johnson 14
Cornelius Johnson 11
Daniel Johnson 8
Anton O. Johnson 5
Elvina Johnson 1
Engibor Johnson 77

There are probably more Johnson's to be found in this census and the 1900 census. But that is all for today.

Les

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 02/01/2008 05:35:24
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  06:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this point I am pretty sure they (John and Ira) were born in South Dakota. I use to think that Ira was born In Bellingham, Washington.. Evidently there is no birth record for Ira. At one point he was trying to join the army and he needed to provide a birth certificate to prove he wasn't too old. His birthday was March 1, 1891, but he was trying to contend he was bord on Leap Year, February 29, 1892. He couldn't find a birth certificate to prove how old he was. I always thought that Geralda was younger than John but evidently I was wrong. So there were birth certificates for the two older kids and not the two younger kids. Evidently, people filed their own birth certificates in the frontier days South Dakota, some times years after the birth.

Helmick's wife was called Sophia, her name was Anna Sophia. It seems that a lot of the women had the name Anna and then another name. Anna Sophia sister's name was Anna Maria. Anna Sophia's mother was also an Anna Sophia as was her grandfmother. Makes it confusing when trying to keep track of people.

It is possible that John was born in North Dakota. The Johnsons were scattered about. For years I thought they (my grandfather's family) actually lived in North Dakota rather than South Dakota. It was only about two years ago that I actually learned they lived in South Dakota. It is why I never found their Census records.

These records also point out errors in other information I had. Mabel appears to have been born in South Dakota rather than Bellingham. A family history I have says she was born in Bellingham. I have a family photo that I assumed had been taken in Bellingham because Mabel was in it. But maybe it was taken in South Dakota instead.

All this is very interesting. Thanks for the Census information Les.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  06:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, you did hit the jackpot Les (I got so interested in your first two posts yesterday that I didn't see the third one until after I posted). Now I know why I couldn't find Ingebor in Wisconsin -- she wasn't there, she had moved to the Dakotas and was living with her son John. I was sure I had seen a reference a couple of days ago where she had died before 1880. But this data jives with what I originally knew -- that Ingebor had lived to a rather old age.

A good reason for the confusion that I didn't know whether the Johnsons lived in North Dakota or South Dakota might be because it was actually the Dakota Territory when they moved there. The Territory later became North Dakota and South Dakota.

I just noticed that there was a 1885 Federal Census for five states and territories and the Dakota Territory was one that opted to have the Census.

Putting the pieces of the puzzle together. It looks like John Johnson moved to Washington State (he was there for the 1900 Census) and then Helmick and his family followed later as Helmick was still in South Dakota in 1900. I believe when Helmick left South Dakota for Washington State he gave or sold his farm to his brother Charles (it could be I have the brothers mixed up and it was a different brother). As of about 15 years ago Charles' descendents were still working that particular farm.

As interesting as all this is, I'm going to have to call it a night.

Richard

Richard Reise

Edited by - flukerkr on 02/01/2008 06:43:41
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  20:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got the opportunity to print all the records you all have provided me. I am getting better at navigating around the databases but I still have a lot to learn.

Les, you gave me links for the birth records of three of Halvor and Ingebor's children -- Halvor, Carl Johan and Gunnild -- but the link you provided for Gunnild is actually the link for Carl Johan. Would you give me the link for Gunnild, thanks. Besides being slow at navigating the databases I also have problems reading the writing. Every one has been real good about telling me exactly what line I should be looking at in the records you send and I really appreciate that. And I also really aprreicate all the time people are spending to help me out.

With the Census record information Les gave me yesterday I was able to track down one of my great grandfather's brothers - Cornelius - who died in 1904 at the age of 34 and is buried in a Norwegian Cemetary in Turner County, South Dakota. In a previous email I indicated there was a 1885 Federal Census for South Dakota. That is not technically correct. The federal government did pay for it but it is considered a State Census. I am going to have to join a genealogy group that provides access to the Census Records.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  21:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check for the location of your nearest LDS Family History Center. They probably have that state census available on microfilm.
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  22:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a coincidence, I was just looking up the 1885 South Dakota on a South Dakota genealogy site.
The site indicated

"South Dakota State Census Information
The state of South Dakota took a state census every ten years from 1895 through 1945 in years ending in "5" (five). These records are a great complement to the Federal Census, essentially giving the researcher a census every five years. The first census was taken in 1885, a short time before statehood, and the last was taken in 1945. Unfortunately, unlike the Federal census, the state censuses have not been microfilmed. They are open for public use at the South Dakota State Archives in Pierre. The information is contained on separate index cards for each enumerated person. (Note that some counties may have copies of their censuses, though most sent their information into the state offices.)
You can get copies of the records from the State Archives, for a fee. See the South Dakota State Archives website for information on obtaining census records and their fee schedule. "

I will check with the nearest LDS Family History Center, the LDS is always obtaining more records and the information on the South Dakota website may be out of date.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  22:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
South Dakota was still part of the Dakota Territory in 1885. Some portions of the 1885 Dakota Territory census have been destroyed - but the LDS have microfilm copies of the portions that still exist, including what was in 1885 called Turner County. Those were microfilmed by the LDS in 1971.

The LDS library catalog is free for the searching online through http://www.familysearch.org/
You can already have a note of the film number that you'll want to order at the nearest Family History Center.

Tip - Use the Place Search function in the LDS library catalog - search for South Dakota and then follow the topic links about the 1885 census (not the indexes - those are not on microfilm).
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  23:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancestry.com has the South Dakota Census for 1885 and 1895.
I could not find any Johnson's that seemed to be related to you.

Your Charles Johnson you referred to as living in SD I think is George Johnson, and wife Ellen. They are in the 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 census. They have children named:
Cathus C. b. Jan 1899?(looks like Arthur to me)
Gladys V. b. 1903.
Julius b. 1906
Rudolph b.1909
Alfred b. 1912
Donald b. 1918

The 1900 census has a Erick Town sic. age 74. Living with them. [His name looks like Erick Halvorson to me], a Father of Ellen. They are at the bottom of a page full of black splotches, and very hard to read the names and dates.

The 1910 census indicates George and Ellen have been married ll years, and Ellen has had 4 children, and only 3 are living.

So the 1900 census with Cathus(sic), would indicate he probably died very young.

The {on-line}paper trail of names seems harder to come by after 1930. The SSDI should have records, but you need birth dates and date of death.

I just read some of the posts, and I missed the one where you asked for info about Gunnild. I'll resend it, if I can find it again.

Les
Go to Top of Page

flukerkr

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  23:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took me a while but I did find the reference to the 1885 South Dakota Census on the LDS website. Thank you Hopkins.

Richard

Richard Reise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article