All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help me find my Great Grandfather Issac M Anderson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  20:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan, thank-u, regarding the 1920 Census- New Jersey shows one Mary Olsen, b. 1857, imm. 1889. the actual dob for the children were in the 1900’s there was Robert he was born 1912 Edward 1914 Catherine 1916 and Emma 1919..my mothers mother was Marie she was born 1909 or 1910, I am not sure what happened to my great grandfather, I wonder if he was sick like his father since I don't see where there was any mention of him being in the military , only discovered where he had to sign up for the military., there are no burial records. I know my mother’s mother died young at 34, it appears Isaac’s father (my great great Grandfather) was 37, Issac my great grandfather was about 31 , my mother was only 10 so she does not recall what happened with the Aunts and Uncles. It seems like they all left the face of the earth.
I
Thanks Karen

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  21:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit hard to understand what you say here...
Did you check the census and confirmed that the children mentioned lives in the same household as their grandma Mary Olsen in 1920?
Earlier; you mentioned their grandma could have been named Louise...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1920 census just gives the names of a widow Mary Olsen, b. 1857, and her son Louis, age 24, born in NJ. No other children are listed.

Les
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2010 :  23:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maren Cathrine Isaksdatter was baptized in Bergen Domkirke Jan 5 1806, see top of right page. Her parents were Isak Knudsen and Marthe Kirstine Olsdatter.

Aanen Salvesen was baptized Sept 9 1804, see 9th record on right page. His parents were Salve Aanensen and Abel Larsdatter, Omland.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 18/10/2010 00:38:34
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  00:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1920 I have Catherine Anderson Head Daughters & Sons Marie,Robert,Edward,Catherine & Emma. (this is all correct). Ms.Olsen is not listed on the sheet I printed out. As far as Louise goes, my mother said that Issac mother was Louise. I told my mother that the census shows Marie for her and not Louise. She only remembers Louise and then a Aunt Kitty, who could have been Catherine. I will have to look up Marie Olsen and check what is has listed.......I was going by a previous post that had the yob wrong at first .

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

vivi

Norway
371 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  01:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by jwiborg

Cause of death reads "Insania", e.g. he was mentally sick.

Hi
Nobody dies from "Insania".
It might have a bit more sombre background. He might have committed suicide - maybe because he had mental problems like depression.
Back then they thought: to kill oneself was an insane thing to do and therefore he had to be insane and this killed him...

Vivi
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  02:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don't want to speculate, whatever happened I don't know, and I don't think I want to share this with my mother at this point.

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  03:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancestry.com census for 1930, gives the following:

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Catherine Anderson
Home in 1930: Newark, Essex, New Jersey
Estimated birth year: abt 1916
Birthplace: New Jersey
Relation to Head of House: Sister-in-Law Race: White
Household Members: Name Age
August Aickouski 25
Marie Aickouski 20
Catherine Aickouski 1
Catherine Anderson 14

The last name Aickouski is spelled wrong. It looks like the actual name should be Zickouski. August is of Polish descent.

Robert and Edward Anderson are with their mother. Catherine Anderson in the 1930 census for Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey.

Catherine's data is questionable as her age is given as 39(born 1891) and born in New York.

Les

Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  03:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did see that, I know the last name is Zickowski, Marie which is my mothers mother was married to August Zickowski, they married Jan 20 1925 in Manhattan. Her sister Catherine born 1916 lived with them and Catherine, baby Catherine born 1930 is my Aunt who passed away in 2002 her married name was Ambrose she lived in California, I have spoken with my cousin regarding my findings, which was Catherine the baby daughter.

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  04:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catherine Anderson in the 1930 census from Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey was married to Isak M Anderson that was born in 1887, he passed at a young age of 31 I believe leaving behind 5 children, this was between 1918 and 1919 not sure if he died in WWI or if he was in the war.I do know that he registered for the war. Catherine worked in a hospital cleaning floors the boys also worked Robert I believe one worked with printing and Edward worked Electrical lived on Montgomery with mother and brother Edward
Edward Anderson

Home in 1930: Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey
Estimated birth year: abt 1914

Relation to Head of House: Son

Parent's Name: Catherine Anderson

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  06:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marie Salvesdatters parents Salve Olsen and Ragnild Salvesdatter were married Nov 2 1857, see #I26.

Salve Olsen was born May 23 1828, see #9. Parents Ole Knudsen and Mari Thomasdatter, Spjote.

Ole Knudsen, Soelberg and Mari Thomasdatter, Møllan were married June 13 1812, see middle of left page.

Ole Knudsen, his parents and sibling in 1801.

Mari Thomasdetter, her parents and siblings in 1801.

Ragnild Salvesdatter was born Aug 26 1833, see #50. Parents Salve Salvesen and Siri Olsdatter, Landaas.

Salve Salvesen, Landaas, (28 years) and Siri Olsdatter, (20 years) were married Sept 12 1824, see #23.

Salve Salvesen was baptized Nov 15 1795, see lower part of right page. Parents Salve Waltersen and Anne Jørgensdatter, Landaas.
Salve, his parents and siblings in

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 18/10/2010 10:34:10
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  12:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke with my mother regarding Lillian, apparently her mother had a sister named Emma, for what ever reason they called her Lilly, not sure why. The great grandmother that I spoke about that is Marie was born in 1854 was grandma, she apparently helped Isac (her son's) wife raise Emma when he died at 31 years of age.

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  16:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

This person is listed in a Family Tree on Ancestry.com as:

Issac Mathies Anderson
Birth
March 20, 1887 in Norway

Unfortunately no information is provided on his parents. He is listed as being married to a Katherine and uses the 1910 US Census and World War I draft registration card as documentation.

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  16:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Issac Mathies Anderson
Birth
March 20, 1887 in Norway Died somewhere bet:1918/1919

I still have not been able to find out about great grandfather found this historical document that contains information about our ancestor. I think you will find this very interesting. Just click on the link below.

This is your grandfather, wife and 4 children, listed as marine engineer, I wonder if he was named after his father, there is an Issac Anderson that was big in military buried in PA. It shows here where Issac is listed without military, he did spell his name with 2 ss.

Click here to view the actual military document of our ancestor
(Hurry... the above link will expire soon, click it now to see the image.)

P.S. - Members of Ancestry.com enjoy access to Census Images, Immigration Records, Historical Newspapers

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

suesonju
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2014 :  23:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran across this series of postings belonging to you about Isaac M Anderson when I "Googled" my husband's Olsen family. It took me awhile (!), but I finally figured out a connection...and, I think, verified some of your family information with census records and the Norwegian Archives. Anyway...my husband's grandmother, Karen "Carrie" (Olsen) Sonju was 1st cousin to Helga/Hilda (Olsen) Edvall. Hilda's parents were Hans Olsen and Mari. They were from Port Richmond, Richmond Co., NY. We have a picture of Carrie and her cousin Hilda taken in Port Richmond when Carrie visited from ND. We also have a few pictures of Hilda and her husband and her mother, Mari. Hans Olsen, Hilda's father, and Jens Olsen, Carrie's father, were brothers. I would be happy to share whatever information and photos I have with you, if you are still interested in researching this family.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article