All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Kristian Klausen Kloster & Kirsten Olsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  02:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diane,
You went through ALL of the various congregations in Stavanger? If you plan on searching through them again, I'd recommend starting with the largest congregation first - the domkirken.

If you are still wanting to look for what happened to Kristian's brothers and sisters in their later lives then you may be well served to search in US records. All of his full-siblings that survived to adulthood emigrated to the US. It might be easier to find names, birth years and birth places of any spouses and subsequent children in US records. Of course, the three half-siblings appear to have stayed in Norway.

You can get that information from the book "Rennesøy - Gard og ætt - Band 3" in the family's listing under the residence "Utstein Kloster". That book also includes a photo of Klaus Sjursson.
Go to Top of Page

Diane Wheeler
Medium member

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  02:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I went through the parish's in Stavanger lately. So I was going to try ones around Ha area etc/ and probably go through the whole thing again.
My dad's mother is Berta Kristina Kornelia, Kristian Klausen's sister. So my mom and dad were cousins. Where would I find the US records? Sivert and Soren didn't marry that I know off. Kristina Bolette, Lene Bertine, Berta Kristian Kornelia, I have information on.
Seems like a lot of records missing from Utstein Kloster. I don't know where else there would be any information right from there/
Thankyou for your help

Diane Wheeler
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  14:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never found a problem with "a lot of records missing" in Rennesøy district. I'm trying to imagine what you've found "missing".

Searching in US records is a matter of using the various federal and state censuses, birth/marriage/death records of the specific area where persons of interest lived, etc. I've explored the webpages of the states and counties, used the resources of my local public library, state historical society, and my local LDS Family History Center.
Go to Top of Page

Diane Wheeler
Medium member

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  19:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like there are years missing in the Utstein Kloster area, is what I meant to say. We're in a small town in Canada, so library doesn't have family history books like some other places. Found out that ancestry is free there though, so will go in the new year to the library. So if I type in a certain state for census in google, I should come across the census then.

Diane Wheeler
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  19:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give us a hint of what you are looking for when you say missing records, we might be able to help.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Diane Wheeler
Medium member

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  20:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was my grandparents wedding dates-one of them-Kristian & Kirsten-the main topic, seeing as Kristian was from there. But the family has it they were married in Stavanger. The other grandparents, also from Kloster, who I finally found on family search project, under a different last name. That's all I can think of at the moment. It's been a while, since I've looked there.

Diane Wheeler
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  21:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Utstein Kloster is just one cluster of the many farm/residences in Rennesøy.

I've never been 'missing' any important events in the parish church records which are available for years as early as 1668.
True, I have a few records for my own ancestors in that area that I haven't found YET - but has usually proved to be because the old handwriting was still difficult for me or because I was not yet familiar enough with using the Norwegian church records to recognize what I was looking right at. I return to work those records again as my experience increases and add to my collection of primary source documentation.
I have also found that occasionally these Rennesøy people in my family went to Stavanger for major life events to be formalized in the churches there - especially to the Domkirken.

The bygdebøker for Rennesøy are generally very good and include many photographs and explanations of the history of the farms and residents.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Diane Wheeler
Medium member

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  08:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha, I just found Kristian Klausen and Kirsten Olsen's wedding date. Went to the St. Johannes parish and started looking from 1894-1898. At the end of the 1898 the next page said "Dissentere etc." at the top. They are No.16 and I think the date is June 17, 1897. It's in the St.Johannes A3 Period-1885-1898. The email is www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060519030260.jpg
I am not sure what dissentere means but I think it might mean leaving the church or I notice the birthdate of the first child is early. Can't tell if it says what area they were living in at the time or what the words are at the far right.
If anyone can help me with this, I would be grateful. Can't believe the date is finally found.

Diane Wheeler
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  13:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help for translating words -
It would be helpful if you would give the permanent PAGELINK rather than the imagelink for these digitized records from the Digitarkivet website. The jpg image is very limited in how we can look at it to attempt to help you. The permanent PAGELINK allows us more flexibility in sizing the image, allows paging forward and backward to examine more examples of the handwriting and can display the source details.

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
Help for translating column headings of church records of various time periods included here -
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na20.html

The far right column on those two pages appears to be some info repeated for most of the couples.

It might be of interest that there was a large number of Quakers in Rennesøy and that might be the reason for the marriage appearing on the pages of dissenters.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  14:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link to #16 - there it says that they were married June 17 1897 and that it was the first marriage for both of them. Kristian was a sailor and he was living at St Hansgade 15. (The information came from Notarius Publicus - who most likely had performed the civil marriage.)
In the notes column it says he was no longer a member of the state church, but did not belong to any other church either. They were not related.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 23/12/2010 14:15:29
Go to Top of Page

Diane Wheeler
Medium member

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  21:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for your help. Am not sure what a permanent PAGELINK is. For some of the words, it is hard for me to tell what letter it is they are writing. You being more experienced with doing this, would and have been able to figure it out, much better than me . The dictionary is very handy though, that you put down. Have never heard of any of the relatives being Quakers but one never knows. Being born in Utstein Kloster, Kristian could have been baptised in the Caholic Church too. They were Lutheran in Saskatchewan.
Guess the address or area???St. Hansgade 15, isn't a clue of what part or area of Stavanger Kristian and Kirsten were married at?

Diane Wheeler
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  21:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save the exact URL location or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  22:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
St. Hans gate 15 is in the middle of Stavanger (red marker), not far from Petri church, see map. Zoom and move to your liking.
If you click on "Gatebilder", blue dots comes up in the streets, clicking on some close to no 15, you can "walk" the street and see the house, needs a little bit paint now, it's a red house.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 23/12/2010 22:36:56
Go to Top of Page

Diane Wheeler
Medium member

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  00:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou much, that was very interesting. Sure never expected to see the house they lived in. Printed up some pictures and took a few with the digital camera. Wish my parents were alive to see this.

Diane Wheeler
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  16:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
<snip> Being born in Utstein Kloster, Kristian could have been baptised in the Caholic Church too. <snip>
Diane Wheeler
23/12/2010 : 21:35:45

You were given a working URL link to the record of Kristian's 1873 baptism in the Norwegian Lutheran church in the FIRST response in this thread/topic.

Utstein Kloster has had no connection to the Catholic church since the protestant reformation era.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article