All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Borre Johnson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  04:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to check one more database called US City Directories 1821 to 1989. One Borre Johnson came up as residing in the City of Minneapolis, MN in 1883. His occupation was a tailor. I do not have any information linking our Borre to this occupation, but it is interesting that I did find one Borre Johnson listed that may fit that time period.

I have contacted the Historical Society regarding naturalization records and the Dakota Census for 1885. I was able to pull up 14 Johnsons listed in the County of Rolette being naturalized. Here is the list, however no Bore or Borre was listed.
Johnson, Alfred
Johnson, Peter
Johnson, Ole
Johnson, Olaf C
Johnson, Julia
Johnson, Jennie
Johnson, James
Johnson, James
Johnson, Gust
Johnson, Gust
Johnson, Edward
Johnson, Andrew
Johnson, Andreas
Johnson, Peter
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  04:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The North Dakota state naturalization records have been indexed and the index is available at the NDSU archives site. Borre Johnson is not on that list.

The North Dakota naturalizations conducted by the Federal authorities are indexed and the index is available online but there is no Borre Johnson in that list.

So Borre Johnson could have been naturalized in a different place than North Dakota, either under whichever state it was courts or whatever court of Federal jurisdiction existed for that particular state; or Borre Johnson was naturalized under a different name. Since Borre Johnson was an adult at the time of his migration it would be unlikely that he would have been naturalized due to his parents becoming naturalized, unless, contrary to the census date of migration, that he came as a child with his parents and was naturalized as a result of parental naturalization.

The land patent search is at www.glorecords.blm.gov. The transactions recorded there are the transfers from the Federal government to the homesteading individual. Any subsequent transfer of the property will only be found at the county courthouse.

Edited by - jkmarler on 01/02/2014 05:19:30
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  05:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a bygdebøk for Eid in Møre og Romsdal Norway which was published in 1987. Arne Brekke Special Collections website about bygdebøker describes it as about "general, farms". UND special collections does not have it.

Wrongo!

Edited by - jkmarler on 04/03/2014 00:19:49
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  05:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by brejohns

I decided to check one more database called US City Directories 1821 to 1989. One Borre Johnson came up as residing in the City of Minneapolis, MN in 1883. His occupation was a tailor. [quote]

Interesting find.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  05:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a project of the WPA in North Dakota, "pioneers" were interviewed 1935-1941. Even though Borre was long gone, it's possible that Alma was interviewed. The standard questionnaire included questions about the spouse whether deceased or not and when they came to the state and the names of any siblings who came to the state. I have access to an abstract of the information and will check it to see if Alma was interviewed.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  05:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at the land records at the web site you listed. They did list a Gust Johnson but no Borre Johnson. I then check for Carl or Karl Hanson, but there were none listed.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  05:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been searching the immigration lists and passenger lists on Ancestory.Com but this sure seems like looking for a needle in a haystack. It will take many hours but I'll keep searching to see if I can locate anything there too.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  05:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I contacted NDSU regarding the Dakota Census for 1885. It seems they're partnering with ND Historical Society with this information and database. However, the NDSU Archives are not open until later this spring. At least they emailed me the that the archives would be open starting January 27, 2014 for only basic services and that their databases wouldn't be working until later this coming spring. I have emailed the ND Historical Society to see if I can access these records through them.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  23:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You asked about Borre Johnson's wife Alma Helena Hanson. The US Census and Ancestory.Com give this information. Her birth as June 9, 1872 in Ottertail County Minnesota. Alma was born to Carl Fredrick Hanson (1844-1920) and Ingborg Huseby (1845-1915). Alma only had a half sibling Julia C Hanson born in 1888.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  23:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where were Carl and Ingeborg from in Norway?
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  00:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry - I do not have any further information on Alma's parents. However, there may be additional information included in the church book copies that I will be receiving this coming week.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  03:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to report there was nothing in the church book that pertained to either Borre Johnson or Alma Hanson's family. They copied 6 pages but it was not our family.

I wasn't able to access the database for the Dakota 1885 census but I had a helper at NDSU who checked. She said there was not anything listed for either Borre Johnson or Alma's family - Carl and Ingeborg Hanson in Rolette County.

I haven't been able to get to the Rolette County courthouse yet. I was hoping I could find a date when Borre Johnson purchased land. It might give us an approximate year that he came over from Norway. However, it will not probably bring me any closer to getting his correct birth date.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  02:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brejohns

You asked about Borre Johnson's wife Alma Helena Hanson. The US Census and Ancestory.Com give this information. Her birth as June 9, 1872 in Ottertail County Minnesota. Alma was born to Carl Fredrick Hanson (1844-1920) and Ingborg Huseby (1845-1915). Alma only had a half sibling Julia C Hanson born in 1888.

So Ingeborg died before 1888 or were the dates for Ingborg those for the second wife?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  02:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to a transcription of the Minnesota 1885 census for Carl Hanson in Otter Tail County, Minnesota. Looks like a fairly large family:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MQXK-PN9
Name: Karl Hanson
Event Place: Norwegian Grove, Otter Tail, Minnesota
Age (Expanded): 42 years
Birth Year (Estimated): 1843
Birthplace: Norway
Race: White
Family Number: 60

And here they are in 1875:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MKNG-PY5
Volume: Otter Tail
Page: 9
GS Film number: 000565749
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Karl Hanson M 42y Norway
Ingeborg Hanson F 40y Norway
Helene Hanson F 11y Minnesota
Hendriette Hanson F 10y Minnesota
Henry Hanson M 7y Minnesota
Alfred Hanson M 5y Minnesota
Julius Hanson M 2y Minnesota
Klara Hanson F 9m Minnesota
Jacob Peterson M 24y Norway
Gunder Peterson M 21y Norway

Possibly their marriage #2 :
Source information: Buskerud county, Hurum, Parish register (official) nr. 12 (1861-1875), Marriage records 1869, page 169.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1096&idx_id=1096&uid=ny&idx_side=-175

The farm they were each from is Huseby.

A whole group of people left from Hurum named variously Frantzen or Huseby, Carl and Ingeborg are here in 1869 headed for Red Wing, Minnesota:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=11&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=5020&personpostnr=5020#nedre

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/02/2014 03:32:28
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  03:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be Ingeborg Frantzdatter (Huseby) birth, 03 April 1845, parents Frantz Olsen and Anna Marie Einersdatter
Buskerud county, Hurum, Parish register (official) nr. 10 (1827-1846), Birth and baptism records 1845, page 182.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061214640186.jpg

Edited by - JaneC on 09/02/2014 04:59:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article