All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Borre Johnson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  04:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have obtained the ND death certificate and marriage certificate for Borre Johnson plus 3 news article regarding his death in 1914. I've summarized my notes and findings as listed below. I'm still not sure we can point to an exact birth date, but I would like you to review these documents. However, I'm not sure how they can be posted since they are in a pdf format. Can you tell me if that's possible? I've included 2 links to the US Census information for Borre. I still have not been able to contact the owners of the family trees listed on Ancestory.Com. I'm not sure how often they check posts on their family tree information. The only consistent piece of information I've found has been his death date - January 27, 1914. There doesn't seem to be discrepancies there.

SUMMARY:
Bore (Borre) Johnson (Johanson)

Names found on his legal documents.
Borre Johnson - family history (BD 7/10/1861)
Bore Johnson - ND Death Index (BD 7/27/1860)
Bore Johnson – Marriage Certificate (BD 1859)
Barrie Johnson - Ancestory.Com BD 7/10/1861 (Family Tree Owned By Sarah_Russell23)
Borre Johnson - Ancestory.Com BD 7/10/1861 (Family Tree Owned By Hallof Family JoyAHallof97)
Bernoa Jonson - 1900 US Census BD July 1860
Bore Johnson - 1900 US Census BD July 1860
Bernsa Jonson - 1900 US Census BD July 1860
Berry Sompson - 1910 US Census BD about 1861
Benj Sompson - 1910 US Census BD about 1861
Benj Sampson - 1910 US Census BD about 1861

Bore Johnson - Death Certificate – Born: 7/27/1860 Died: 1/27/1914

Rendahl Cemetery – Grave – Born: 6/10/1860 Died: 1/27/1914

Married - Alma Helena Hanson - 12/16/1889 at Ox Creek Lutheran Church, near Rolette, ND. Rolette County Township 159. Marriage certificate gives Bore’s age as 30 and Helena’s age as 16.

Alma Helen Hanson Johnson shows up as wife of Borre as listed above for 1900 and 1910 US Census.
However she is Alma Johnson in the 1920 US Census, but she is Alma Sampson in the 1930 US Census and back to Alma Johnson in 1940. 1950 US Census is not available.
Alma Helena Hanson was born June 9, 1872 and died May 5, 1953.

Children: (12)
Clara Jonson - 1890
John Jonson - 1891
Bennie A Johnson - 1894
Minnie J Johnson - 1896
Henry M Johnson - 1898
Norman A Jonson - 1899
Arla A Johnson - 1902
Julia Johnson (1) Died at age 2 - not listed on any census
Julia S Johnson (2) - 1905
Myrtle Elvina Johnson - 1907
Gladys I Johnson - 1911
Lela A Johnson - 1913

Lived:
Rolette County - homesteaded near Rolette, ND (near home of Carl & Ingeborg Hanson) Township 159
Tree Claim near Rolette, ND
June 1896 moved to Turtle Mountains (Lester Halvorson Farm)
1906 moved to Willow Lake Township (grandson remembers hearing they purchased this farm from a family called Sampson).

References and Documents
Marriage Certificate
ND Death Certificate
US Federal Census: 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
Dunseith History Book
Death Notice – Bottineau Courant (newspaper)
Death Notice – Dunseith Magnet (newspaper)
Death Notice – Rolette Record (newspaper)

Death Notice – Dunseith Magnet, February 5, 1914
Berry Johnson, one of the early settlers of Willow Lake, passed away to his home beyond, Monday, January 26th. He has been suffering for the past year with cancer. He leaves a wife and several children. He was a quiet gentleman, well liked by all who knew him. The funeral was held on Saturday, and the remains interred in the Juno cemetery. Rev. Bakke and Rev. Tollerud conducted the touching services. The family have the sincere sympathy of the community.

Death Notice – Bottineau Courant, February 6, 1914
Borre Johnson, residing near Willow Lake, died January 27 after a lingering illness. He was buried from the Rindal church near Juno on Saturday, January 31. Rev. Tollerud conducted the funeral services at the house and Rev. H.N. Bakke officiated at the church.

Death Notice – Rolette Record, February 6, 1914
Barney Johnson, a son-in-law of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Hanson, of this city, died at this home north of Dunseith on Tuesday, January 27, of cancer of the stomach, aged 45 years. He had been ill about a year. He leaves a wife and ten children to morn his loss. The children are Clara, John, Bennie, Minnie, Norman, Henry, Arla, Myrtle, Julia and Lela.

Here are the link to the US Census information for 1900.
http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?new=1&gsfn=Borre&gsln=Johnson&rank=1&gss=angs-c&mswpn__ftp=Dunseith%2c+Rolette%2c+North+Dakota%2c+USA&mswpn=61079&mswpn_PInfo=8-%7c0%7c1652393%7c0%7c2%7c3248%7c37%7c0%7c2555%7c61079%7c0%7c&msbdy=1861&pcat=CEN_1900&h=57741652&db=1900usfedcen&indiv=1&ml_rpos=10

US Census information for 1910.
http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1910USCenIndex&h=21024733&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=7602

US Census information for 1920 is listed under Alma Johnson. Let me know if you need this also.

I would like you to review his death certificate and his marriage certificate to see if there is anything I may have missed. Again, I'm sorry for taking so long to obtain this information. Thank you so much for your patience and assistance.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  05:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the summary. Sorry I cannot help you with posting images, one of the other forumites might be able to.

So there were no parents' names on the death certificate nor name of birthplace other than Norway?

Ox Creek Lutheran registers were microfilmed as part of the ALC holdings but according to the inventory the ministerial acts and membership records don't begin until 1897. Who was the pastor on the marriage certificate?
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  05:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Lutheran minister listed on the marriage certificate is Ole P. Svingen from Bottineau County. Sorry there were no parents listed on the marriage certificate. It gave 2 witnesses and said the bride's parents consented. Nothing else listing their birth places or birth dates. It just gave their ages as 30 for Bore and 16 for Helena. I found a book titled "History of Ox Creek Luther Church (Rolette, ND) and I tried to get it through the local library, because it said it covered the years 1889-1989. The library told me they could not get it. Tomorrow I will submit another request to the North Dakota State University to see if I could get it through their library. It's a long shot, but we might be surprised.
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  05:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I didn't explain the book correctly. This was a book I found online when I googled Ox Creek Church. It was their centennial year in 1989 and they had a book printed. The church burnt down around 5 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  06:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the book is in the regular holdings the main NDSU library might honor interlibrary loan requests. If it's in the Institute for Regional Studies holdings (NDSU Archives) it would probably not be loanable. If the Institute has it they may be able to make a few copies for you.

The death certificate didn't give parents' names?
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  15:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The death certificate contained very little information. It listed his birth place as Norway and the same for his mother and father, but the name of the mother and father are blank. It gives his birth date as July 27, 1860 and his age as 53 years 6 months 3 days. It says he was married for 28 years and a parent of 11 children of whom 10 are living. It listed John Johnson from Ackworth as the informant and Bore's occupation was farmer. I think I will contact ND Vital Statistic and ask if there is additional information any where else as there were 3 types of death certificates. I will also contact the NDSU Library.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  17:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummer. So no additional real clues about Norway origin in the most recently obtained documents.

What do you know about the "homestead?" The reason I ask is I do not find a record of Borre Johnson or Borre Johanson at the land patents search site www.glorecords.blm.gov So technically he may not have taken a Federal government homestead, unless there is some kind of defect in the records or he had a different name. His later land purchases appear to have been from other individuals, so those records would have been at the county courthouse. It might be useful to help tie Borre to a specific place and time to find when he purchased the lands.

The 1900 census says he is naturalized. Searching North Dakota online naturalization index does not find Borre Johnson. It's a 2 step process and the minimum requirement to get a Federal homstead is to have filed a declaration of intention.

What do you know about Alma's family? From some databases I've seen she is listed as having been born in Otter Tail county, Minnesota. Did she have siblings?
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  18:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Here is ...Børge Justeson b. 10 July 1859, confirmation #7 in 1874:
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6385&idx_id=6385&uid=ny&idx_side=-73

OMG he's starting to run! Coming to Barnesville, Minn in 1882:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=3&filnamn=EMIAALE&gardpostnr=181&merk=181#ovre

What happened with the above Borre?

Børre Justsen Siem born 10 July 1859, Eid in Eid, Møre og Romsdal. Father Just Mortensen (?) mother Kari Andersdatter.
On both birth and confirmation record, the name looks like Børge to me. On 04 May 1882, registered to emigrate from Ålesund, traveling to Barnesville, Clay county, Minnesota. Name transcribed as Børre Justsen Siem. Occupation skomager (shoemaker). Clay county is on the border of North Dakota.

Børre Johnson married in Rolette County, North Dakota, which is on the border with Canada. Married record gives his year of birth as 1859 (according to brejohns report about the marriage record). The name Børre looks like Børge to me, in the Norwegian records (which could explain the Berry misnomer). First son John. First daughter Clara.

Justsen is a patronymic name (son of Just)
Siem is a place name
brejohns, you're probably familiar with the fact that Norwegian immigrants usually chose one or the other to use as a permanent family surname in the USA. In America a relatively unfamiliar surname such as Justsen could transform to a familiar surname such as Johnsen. ("John" is an Anglicization of "Just," maybe?)

One BIG new piece of information is that the SAMPSONS owned Borre's land before him (or may have, per grandson). This could explain why the name Sampson appears with this family (and is crossed out in 1910). This idea would have to be checked out via land records - not sure how to do that.

brejohns, you own a book that has a biography of Borre in it. What does the bio say? Any hint of where he was before he married? Any mention of siblings?

Thanks.

Edited by - JaneC on 01/02/2014 04:42:43
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  18:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Here is ...Børge Justeson b. 10 July 1859, confirmation #7 in 1874:
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6385&idx_id=6385&uid=ny&idx_side=-73

OMG he's starting to run! Coming to Barnesville, Minn in 1882:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=3&filnamn=EMIAALE&gardpostnr=181&merk=181#ovre

What happened with the above Borre?

What's lacking is something which clearly connects this Børre to Borre Johnson. There are some circumstantial ties for instance, Barnesville is near Otter Tail county, Minnesota, initials match, approximate birth dates, dates of arrival in US, Borre is an uncommon first name in US and not really so common in Norway either.

I haven't found found either Børre in 1885 Minnesota census, nor Dakota Territory 1885.

So the poster got her Borre's death certificate and his marriage certificate, neither of which contained any valuable information about his place of origin in Norway nor his parents names.

So am now trying to figure out what other records might have a valuable nugget.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  23:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the above Børre could be the Berona Jonson from the 1900 Census since Bernoa is listed as having arrived in 1882 and that is when JaneC has Børge or Børre Justsen leaving. Norway.

I think the 1900 Census is posted much earlier on but here is the main part again.

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Bernoa Jonson

[Bernsa Jonson]
Birth Date: Jul 1860
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Dunseith, Rolette, North Dakota
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1882
[1887]
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital status: Married
Spouse's Name: Alma Jonson
Marriage Year: 1890
Years Married: 10
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway

Edited by - AntonH on 31/01/2014 23:30:02
Go to Top of Page

brejohns
Medium member

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  03:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the biography of Borre Johnson per the Dunseith History Book.

Borre Johnson emigrated from Norway to Rolette County in the 1880s. He homesteaded near Rolette. Nearby was the homestead of Carl and Ingeborg Hanson. Carl, two sons and one daughter, Alma, had come from Ottertail County, Minnesota, in October, 1887. They had come with a covered wagon and a small herd of cattle. In the spring of ’88 Mrs. Hanson and the four younger children came by train.

Borre Johnson and Alma (Lena) Hanson were married in December of 1888. They proved up a tree claim near Rolette, remaining there until June of 1896 when they traded this farm for one in Willow Lake Township which is now the Lester Halvorson farm. They lived there until 1906 when they moved near the shores of Willow Lake where they lived the rest of their lives. Here they built up a fine home and raised a fine family.

Before they moved to the hills they had three children: Clara (Mrs. Albert Berg), Johnnie and Bennie. On their second farm Minnie (Mrs. George Lagerquist), Henry, Norman, Arla (Mrs. Art Millang) and Julia I (who died at age two) were born. The final home was the birthplace of Julia II (Mrs. Walter Hiatt, now Mrs. Bill Dunbar), Mrytle (Mrs. Henry Olson), Gladys (Mrs. Mac Williams), and Lela (Mrs. George Cota).

Clara and Albert Berg raised four children: Martin of Bottineau, Alvin (deceased), Arla of Florida and Amanda who married Clarence Schultz. The Schultzes operated a grocery store in Dunseith for a time. Now they have a grocery store in Donnybrook. Alvin Berg married Lillian Torgerson and for a while they operated the Snow White Bakery. Later Alvin was also in partnership in a liquor store in Dunseith before moving to Minot.

Bennie Johnson never married but remained at home and took care of his mother as long as she lived. Mrs. Johnson was spry and competent even into her eighties and took delight in the visits of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Borre Johnson died in 1914; Lena in 1953. Charley Hagen now owns the Johnson farm.

Henry Johnson never married and spent his life in the area as a laborer.

Norman Johnson married Cora (Dotty) Colburn. They farmed on both the prairie and the hills. Their children are: Wesley, who married Mavis Espe, Betty (Mrs. A. Belcourt) and Bernice (Mrs. Billy Metcalfe). The whole family lives out west except Dotty, who passed away here. - END OF HISTORY BOOK.

I contacted the ND Dept of Vital Statistics to make sure I had obtained all information on Borre Johnson's death certificate. They assured me that there was no more information they could give me. I posted the information in the death certification earlier today.

I contacted the ND Historical Society and requested copies from the book titled "Ox Creek Lutheran Church - Centennial 1889-1989." One of the staff will scan and email me any information listed for Borre Johnson or Alma Hanson. I was informed they do not loan out this book.

I have never heard of the web site for land patents and about homesteads either. I will check that out. I plan to have my husband go to the court house next week and see if he can find out any more information on the land.

Is there a record of the naturalization process? I think I may have seen something about that listed on the ND Historical Society web page. I will check into that further.

I will also see if I can locate any census information before 1900.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  04:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well here is a stretch, A Gust Johnson living in Rolette County in 1900. He arrived in 1884. A stretch to relate him to Just Justsen.

Name: Gust Johnson
Birth Date: Apr 1867
Home in 1900: Ox Creek, Rolette, North Dakota
Immigration Year: 1884
Marital status: Single
Household Members:
Name Age
Gust Johnson
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  04:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Rolette County is a smal county but on the same page as Gust Johnson is likely the parents of Alma Hanson wife of Borre Johnson.

Name: Carl Hanson
Birth Date: Oct 1843
Home in 1900: Ox Creek, Rolette, North Dakota
Immigration Year: 1875
Marital status: Married
Spouse's Name: Engebur Hanson
Marriage Year: 1869
Years Married: 31
Household Members:
Name Age
Carl Hanson 56
Engebur Hanson 55
Alfred Hanson 20
Julia Hanson 12
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  04:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is likely wife of Borre Johnson and her family while they were living in Minnesota.

1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Helene Hanson
Birth Year: abt 1873
Birthplace: Minnesota
Home in 1880: Norwegian Grove, Otter Tail, Minnesota
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Marital status: Single
Father's Name: Charly Hanson
Mother's Name: Ingeborg Hanson
Mother's Birthplace: Nor
Household Members:
Name Age
Charly Hanson 36
Ingeborg Hanson 35
Helene Hanson 7
Henriette Hanson 5
Henry Hanson 3
Alfred Hanson 10m

Edited by - AntonH on 01/02/2014 04:31:41
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  04:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Just Justsen was born in April, but as near as I can tell it was April, 1865. See #13

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6385&idx_id=6385&uid=ny&idx_side=-27

The two of them in the census. Borre and Just

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1537&kenr=001&bnr=0015&lnr=000

Edited by - AntonH on 01/02/2014 04:48:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article